We all have busy lives so who doesn’t love a quick dinner that can all be cooked together with minimal preparation and even less washing up!
This Chicken and Chorizo recipe is a regular in our house. Chicken and chorizo is a classic combination – in this recipe you can then add any vegetables of your choosing, stick it in the oven and you’re done!
You will need (serves two):
- two chicken breasts – you could use chicken thighs if you prefer but I don’t like them, so we don’t!
- two chorizo cooking sausages – I take the skin off and then cut into four pieces
- one large or two small sweet potatoes – peeled and chopped into large chunks
- one large or two small courgettes – again cut into large chunks
- mushrooms – either leave whole or cut in half
- red onion – peeled and halved or quartered (if you leave a bit of the root intact they should hold together)
- peppers – any colours, cut into large pieces
The idea is to cut all your vegetables into pieces of roughly the same size so that they all cook in the same amount of time. Of course you can use different vegetables, just use what ever you fancy. I sometimes use baby new potatoes instead of the sweet potato but you’ll have to boil them for ten minutes first.
Put the meat and the prepared vegetables into a large roasting tray – try to mix everything up and make sure the chorizo pieces are evenly spread around the tray so that the oil that comes out as they cook can flavour everything. Drizzle the whole lot with some olive oil – I use garlic infused oil but again whatever suits you. You could also add salt and pepper before it cooks but I don’t add salt to anything and I’m not keen on pepper so the hubby just covers his after it’s cooked!
Put the whole lot in the oven and cook at 200°C for about 30 minutes (it might take a bit longer if you have particularly large chicken breasts). If you like you can throw some green beans on the top about 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time.
And that’s it. Easy peasy. I actually then drizzle a bit of salad dressing over the top which sounds slightly weird but is actually lovely.
We haven’t started weaning yet but I would have thought that this would be a good meal for little hands to share, perhaps without the chorizo which is quite chewy and salty.
I love meals that can be prepared in advance (I quite often do all my chopping and preparing when Toby is napping in the afternoon) and then just put in the oven when you’re ready. And the lack of washing up from this way of cooking is also an added bonus. Do you have any favourite one pot meals you’d like to share? Please leave a comment and pass them on!