If you have been anywhere near Twitter in the last week you might have heard about the Team Honk Blogger Relay. But even if you have heard of it you might still not be to sure what it’s all about. So let me give you the lowdown:
- The Team Honk Blogger Relay starts in Lands End on the 12th January 2014 and finishes in John O Groats on the 23rd March 2014.
- We aim to raise over £20,000 for Sport Relief.
- In terms of modes of transport, you name it we have thought of it: pushchair pushes, roller blading across the Humber, boating round Bristol, #Honkopoly around London, fancy dress, onesies, bikes, scooters, planes, hiking, rafting and mountain climbing.
- #teamhonkrelay involves over 200 bloggers, their friends and families in a route that zig zags up the UK taking in 38 regional teams.
- Here you can see the official regional route details and dates for the relay : http://teamhonk.org/2014-blogger-relay/team-honk-2014-relay-route-and-masterplan/
Are you with me so far? The relay is already underway, having started in Land’s End on the 12th January and there is a mighty troupe of bloggers all lined up to take the baton over, across and around England. However, the relay gets a bit less, well, relay-like when it gets to Scotland. This is mostly due to the size of the country (it’s bigger than you think!) and therefore the lack of suitably located bloggers. So Annie and Penny,two of the Team Honk organisers, have volunteered to take the baton from Washington to John O Groats linking up with bloggers where they can along the way. Which is where I come in!
On Friday 21st March I will be meeting up with Annie and Penny (with the baton) and some other bloggers in South Queensferry, from where we will be walking/cycling/scooting/generally crossing by some means or other the Forth Road Bridge. I’ll be taking Toby with me in the baby carrier (I’m not risking the buggy with the winds on the bridge after I helped some poor woman in Edinburgh the other week when her buggy (and child!) were almost blown right over by the wind!). The baton will then be carrying on its way up to John O Groats via some whitewater rafting in Aberfeldy and a climb up a Munro somewhere near Inverness!
The final weekend of the Team Honk Blogger Relay coincides with the first ever Sainsbury’s Sport Relief Games which take place from Friday 21st to Sunday 23rd March 2014. The public can join the fun and games by running, swimming or cycling their way to raising cash at over a thousand venues around the country, including the landmark events at Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.
As one of the biggest fundraising events, Sport Relief brings the entire nation together to get active raise cash and change lives. The money raised by the public is spent by Comic Relief to help transform the lives of some of the poorest and most disadvantaged people both at home in the UK and across the world.
Sport Relief is a really great cause and I’m glad that this year I’ll be doing my bit to help rather than just watching it on TV. If you would like to do your bit too and help Team Honk reach our £20,000 target then you can donate by clicking on the badge below or by texting HONK to 70005 to donate £5 to Sport Relief. Please do, it really can make a difference.